Saturday, December 26, 2009

Adventure #37.5: Rebekah vs. Acute Tonsillitis (a.k.a. “You are sick man!”)

As an addendum to my previous post, I would like to say that I am fully recovered from the swine flu.  Unfortunately, as soon as I rid myself of the swine flu, I found that I had contracted another wonderfully pleasant ailment—acute tonsillitis.  You may imagine just how flabbergasted I was to have gotten over one disease only to come down with another.  My exchange with the physician, in a mixture of English and Chinese, went something like this:

Me: Acute Tonsillitis?!
Doctor: Yes!
Me: Wonderful.  (Note that this was said steeped in sarcasm.)
Doctor: Wonderful?
Me: I mean… terrible!  Very bad!  (Native Chinese speakers have no concept of sarcasm because the language is inflectionless; Americans tend to forget this on a regular basis.)
Doctor: Okay!
Me: But… acute tonsillitis?  Why?
Doctor: Because you are sick man!

I can only conclude that he meant that my immune system was weaker than usual, dealing as it had been with the swine flu.  I would also like to state for the record that I am not, in fact, a sick man.

No comments: