Friday, December 18, 2009

Adventure #37: Rebekah vs. the Swine Flu

Actually, in these faraway parts, they tend to refer to it as H1N1. And I don’t know why this is my 37th adventure, exactly, except that 37 is prime and I am predisposed to favor primes. In fact, the only reason I’m not looking forward to turning 24 is because it means I will no longer be a prime number.

In somewhat recent news, I have been to the East and back. In fact, it was more like the Northeast, and it was beautiful. As we were there on a super top-secret mission, I submit to you my case report, despite it’s highly classified nature. It’ll be our little secret, right? You, me, and the whole of the internet. It’s flawless.

MISSION NAME: Super Top-Secret Be-A-Tourist-In-Taroko-Gorge Trip
Agents in question: Grace. Kristin. Kaitlyn. Rebekah.
Location: Taroko Gorge. Marble Gorge located in northeastern Taiwan. Top tourist destination.
Related activities: Hiking. Scootering. Touristing. Tasting pickled flowers.
Relevant details: Turquoise-colored waters. Magnificent views. Fresh mountain air. Peace and quiet. Long hikes up mountainsides. Birds. Flowers. Suspension bridges. Millet wine.
Photographic evidence: See below.

Agent Grace in Full Super Top-Secret Regalia.


The gorge.


A subpar shot of water that is much more turquoise in real life.


Suspension Bridge.


Agents Grace, Kristin, and Kaitlyn, testing the soundness of the suspension bridge.

Getting back now to Adventure #37, I speak the truth. Of all the ETAs, I am the first to fall prey to this dread disease. It’s not so dread, really, more like a pretty average case of the flu, but I tend to repel people like a bad case of leprosy. It is a situation chock-full of irony, as the most likely way that I caught it was from children, and I don’t even really like children. Ah, well. I’m in Taiwan! Taiwanese people get the swine flu all the time. And you know what they say: “When in Rome….”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ahh taroko is great. millet wine is nasty though : P some of my favorite pics from taiwan were taken in taroko. how was the scootering? ive only been through via vehicle, i bet scooters are more fun