Sunday, February 24, 2008

Musical Madness!!!

My apologies for my long silence. It’s always hit-or-miss as to whether the internet here in China will actually let me access the site I post on or not. As of late, it has been quite unresponsive. Therefore, I am posting these entries (albeit intermittently) through my vessel – that is, my sister (thank you, Miryam, I love you and you’re wonderful).[Editor's note: you're welcome, Becks!] Today I’m profiling a traditional Chinese instrument called the guqin. The guqin is a long instrument, maybe four feet long or so, rectangular-shaped, and has seven strings. The lowest string is C, two octaves below middle C. The other strings (from lowest to highest) are D, F, G, A, C, and D. The instrument is plucked with the right hand and the notes are fingered with the left. The reason for all this musical mumbo-jumbo is that I am now studying the guqin. As I was unable to bring my viola with me to China (boo!), I am filling my musical deprivation with a new instrument. Really, when in my life am I ever going to get the chance to study a traditional Chinese instrument with a professional musician? If I were to give you an honest answer to that question, actually, it might be a little surprising. It turns out my music teacher is working towards her PhD in music – in North Hollywood, California, where at least half of my extended family happens to reside. She came back to China for two reasons. First, to take care of her ailing mother, and second, to write a book (in Chinese, I presume). However, come August, she will be moving back to America. Her husband is also American, so that is her permanent home. By the way, for those of you interested in seeing a guqin, go to the library (or Blockbuster) and rent the movie Hero. There’s a big fight-scene in it with someone playing a guqin. I would say it’s a great scene to watch, entertaining, interesting, etc., etc., but to be honest, I really don’t remember that scene at all. Not even an inkling. So watch it, enjoy it, and tell me how it is! Anyway, it’s a really awesome instrument. I can officially play about three songs (two of which are only open strings). Oh, I’ve progressed from just playing open strings to playing harmonics as well, which is super exciting. The only issue I’m having with it is a simple conflict of interest. String musicians (on Western string instruments, that is), are required to have short nails. Otherwise, the nails interfere with the musician’s ability to finger the notes. Guqin players, on the other hand, must have long nails; otherwise, the musician cannot make the strings sound. This means that for the past few weeks I’ve been growing out my nails, and let me tell you, they are driving me absolutely nuts. For the first time in years I find myself the victim of involuntarily self-inflicted cuts and scratches. Not only that, but they get in the way of everything. And I don’t even want to talk about how hard it is to keep them clean. Ick. In short, my nails are driving me nuts. On the bright side, though, I’m learning to play a fantastic instrument and bringing home the most amazing souvenir from China I can think of.

No comments: