Thursday, May 15, 2008

One more time… One more time… One more time… One more t…

I’m currently in Thailand but way behind on my posting, so I’m still talking about China. Not to worry, I will definitely tell you all about Thailand, but probably not until I make it back to America and have a chance to upload my photos (seriously, Thailand without photos? That just wouldn’t be any fun at all). One of the things that I find very interesting about Chinese culture is how deeply engrained the concept of repetition is. Everything is repetition. Any kind of physical or mental exercise is centered around repetition. For example, there was a little park by my apartment complex and every morning when I woke up, I could hear the Chinese version of “Livin’ la Vida Loca.” And I do mean every morning; not a day went by without being graced by a Chinese Ricky Martin. The same people were doing the same dance to the same song every single morning. At the gym I went to, there existed a similar phenomenon. For all the exercise classes, they listened to the same music and repeated the same moves over and over again. I remember this one particular hip-hop routine – I think the instructor even wore the same silly clothes to all of the classes (you know, red warm-up suit, some bling hanging around his neck, one pant leg rolled up, baseball cap worn at a 45-degree angle; all this and he was still a terrible choreographer). In any case, they would play the same song over and over and over again and do the same dance. If the class was lucky, some moves might be added on to the routine they had already learned. It was interesting, though – they never would work on specific parts of the routine. It was just the whole thing, again and again. Another example is how all my Chinese classes have been structured. Class can be a bit boring because of the mind-numbing amount of repetition. We read the vocabulary out loud, twice for each vocab word; we read the whole dialogue out loud two times; we do similar exercises for every chapter; we write out each new character at least five times so we memorize it. The focus is on reading and writing. Oral speaking tends to be kept to a minimum (which has always bothered me). Every once in a while we’ll go around the room and come up with examples using some particular grammatical structure. Mostly, though, we focus on what is on the page in front of us – which requires no independent thought at all. It gets you thinking. First of all, if those dance classes were happening in America – well, they just wouldn’t. All of the dancers would be bored out of their minds. Dance is by nature a creative process and so each week you listen to different music and do different exercises than you did the week before. But then education in America is largely about learning how to be creative and thinking for yourself, whereas in China I feel like you’re learning to be just like everyone else. It seems to me that the Chinese educational system does not encourage creativity. I suppose with such heavy governmental censoring, that’s a necessary by-product. It’s hard to feel free to think for yourself if you’re constantly afraid the government is going to exile you for it. So anyway, my theory is that the reason there’s so much repetition in everything people do in China is that that’s the way the educational system is structured. In a sense it has to be; the writing system is so complicated that if you don’t practice the characters over and over again until you want to lose your mind, you won’t be literate. So repetition is the heart and soul of everything. I have heard previously that all of the well-known Chinese-speaking pop stars are Taiwanese – from what I’ve seen of China, I believe it.

2 comments:

fuzzybabybunny said...

OMG Bekah are you alright? Earthquake OMG OMG OMG OMG *forgets what's going on and stares blankly at screen*

OMG strawberries yay!!!!!!!!

*lick*

Anyway, I agree with you about the repetition and can confirm the Chinese education system as a large factor. Talking with people in China and remembering how my parents used to teach me, there is certainly a lot of repetition and lack of individual, creative thought. From a business perspective, you can see this everywhere. China copies everything from software to entire cars. The electronic stores are lined with iPod knock-offs. China is the manufacturing capital of the world; that is, they manufacture other people's bright ideas. They don't do the consumer market research. They don't come up with the initial ideas on how to surprise and delight the marketplace. Ironically, many of the young people in China are striving to get out of China, and just when China needs these young minds the most during their time of development. Crazy stuff.

Lisa C. said...

Oh I am very late with this reply, but I do want to throw in some stuff.

In learning Kung Fu there is a lot of repetition. I don't know if it is a Chinese idea specifically or perhaps just a personal philosophy of my Sifu, but the idea is that if you learn a form and don't practice it over and over again, you will forget the form and the form will forget you. It is mind-numbing to most, including myself having gone through this, to do the same things again over a long period, but if you look back at where you begin, you realize how much you've improved from where you started. You can't go any further unless you've mastered the first steps. Moreover, if you lose those steps, you have nothing to show for what you've accomplished, and such happens more easily than people realize.

My problem is, unless I have the instructors and the course schedule, I lack the discipline. How much that is part of my American side (probably going into your later entry about culture) I'm not sure.

I've noticed the lack of creativity on the side of China, too, which is startling compared to what they've managed to accomplish, even invent, before the China we know now came into existence. I'm not expert on this, but I think part of this phenomenon has to do with the not-too-distant Cultural Revolution, where those in possession of a high position and/or great mind were persecuted (I even have a personal example). Perhaps China is still recovering, though even now, in a society where information is censored and where one must be careful of the criticism that escapes one's mouth, the recovery is slow. Innovation comes in part by identifying what is wrong and doing something about it, but if there is such a large barrier against the first step, there's a slim chance of making any progress.